The first portion of the school was dedicated on August 28, 1954
and named after Walter M. Williams. Walter Williams was a successful
pitcher in the major leagues from 1902 to 1905. He then became involved
in town politics serving as a selectman for the town of Topsham from
In 1968, the John A. Cone School was built adjacent to the existing
Walter M. Williams School. . The Cone School was named after John A.
Cone, who was Superintendent of the Topsham/ Brunswick School Department
from 1909 to 1923. In 1938, the name of the Topsham Village School was
changed to the 'John A. Cone School.' That original building burned in
Four additions have been made to the Williams and Cone Schools,
with the last being completed in 1997. The last addition included a
structure that connected the Williams School to the Cone School. From
then on, the school has been known as the Williams-Cone School.
CC license @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pop_Williams_1.jpg